Friday 5 March 2010

Little Pots of Colour

I love having flowering plants on my kitchen window sill throughout the year. This is the grape hyacinth I showed you a couple of weeks ago and as you can see it's just beginning to fade. So I now need to consider what will take its place.
Kit1_1
I recently found a really nice book on container gardening which contains some great ideas that are definitely going to get used for future window sill colour.
Cup_1
I love the idea of using odd cups and mugs for herbs. The cup could stand on a saucer if you decided to drill holes in the bottom (special 'glass/china' drill bit needed). If, like me, that presents too much hassle then just plonk the plant in the cup, fill with compost and give it small amounts of water daily.
Pots_1

Here's something else I have plenty of.....old plates! The blue and white teamed with snowy white looks so summery don't you think?
Flowertin_1
I'd never considered using vintage style tins. Drilling holes in these for drainage would be easy enough.
Cakeplate_1
And here's a novel idea for a party..... Tiny flowering plants in tiny containers, gorgeously wrapped in pink paper (or fabric) and tied with a satin bow. Don't they look pretty on the glass plate as an alternative to cupcakes (not as yummy though).
Containerbk_1
And here's the book I used for the photos. It contains loads of creative ways for using every-day items as containers for plants and is full of pictures which are bound to tempt you to try some of them.
I'm off now to sort through my old cups and mugs.
Until next time,
Eli