Friday 1 October 2010

Yummy British baking

I've never been a 'foodie' so its unusual for me to write a post about yummy stuff. I have to confess I rarely watch food programmes on TV but having read about the 'Great British Bake Off' I was tempted to give this programme a go. I'm so glad I did because within a few minutes I was completely hooked.


The traditional British food featured on the programme took me straight back to my childhood. Above is a selection of my mum's baking booklets dating from the 1950's and 60s. They are covered in splashes and greasy finger marks but just the sight of them brings back happy memories of a warm kitchen, mixing bowls to clean and tempting aromas coming from the oven; followed of course by a delicious teatime spread.


And here is the little apron I wore as a three year old when I helped my mum in the kitchen. Don't you just love the tiny mixing bowl and wooden spoon. When I'd outgrown the apron my sister wore it and then, many years later, it was worn by my own two children whenever they had tea at grandma's house.


'The Great British Bake Off' evoked so many teatime memories I decided to purchase the accompanying book and I'm thrilled with it. If traditional British fare appeals to you then you'll love this book.


It contains 352 pages with 120 recipes from around Britain.


You'll find sweet and savoury tarts and flans, homely puddings, hearty pies, breads and of course a variety of scrumptious cakes. As an added bonus come the illustrated hints and tips which will help you achieve the best possible results.


Alongside every recipe there's a mouth watering illustration.


I love the book's vintage style photos.


Before I go I'd like to quickly remind you of the 'Lakeland' chain of UK kitchenware shops (48 in total) which stock everything you'll need for your kitchen and more. The flagship store is close to my home here in the Lake District and well worth a visit if you are in the area. If you don't have easy access to one of the shops then you'll find everything available from Lakeland online.


And finally.......... If you haven't already seen it then do take a look at the gorgeous blog run by one of the talented contestants from the recently broadcast 'Great British Bake Off'. It is evocatively named The Pink Whisk.

Have a great weekend everyone