Thursday 25 November 2010

My miniature world

Greetings friends. After spending several weeks concentrating on my knitting I decided to take time off and do something completely different. So sit down for a while and I will explain.


I love dolls (as I think you know) and it has always been my ambition to create a tiny family to reside in their own miniature world. Several years ago I made the family but never got round to giving them anywhere to live.

However, for the past couple of weeks I've been busy building a dolls house from a kit I acquired. I want everything to be as historically accurate as possible and have chosen the early Georgian period.



Here is the front of the house waiting to be painted.

The children are very excited and can't wait to move in.




But moving day is some way off as the stairs have yet to be fixed in place.




I'm fascinated by antique miniature houses. The one below dates from the 1730s and is on display at Nostell Priory in Yorkshire. It is early Georgian so is giving me lots of ideas and inspiration.



Of course my house won't be anything like this one!

Lots more inspiration is comng from the dolls house books I've collected over the years. This one is a great favourite




My tiny family will want to fill their rooms with early Georgian furniture so the book below is proving very useful.


and fireplaces, lighting and other period details must look just right throughout the house.




Meanwhile, Squire Danville, head of my household, is happily going about his daily business and ignoring the building work going on all around him.....typical!



I'll keep you updated on my progress, but now I have some stairs to fix.